“I don’t like either the word hike or the thing. People ought to saunter in the mountains – not ‘hike!’ Do you know the origin of that word saunter? It’s a beautiful word. Away back in the middle ages people used to go on pilgrimages to the Holy Land, and when people in the villages through which they passed asked where they were going they would reply, ‘A la sainte terre’, ‘To the Holy Land.’ And so they became known as sainte-terre-ers or saunterers. Now these mountains are our Holy Land, and we ought to saunter through them reverently, not ‘hike’ through them.”John Muir
What Is A Forest Saunter?
A Hedge & Hollow Forest Saunter is a gentle, 2 hr immersive forest experience. Although we are in the forest for 2 hours, we will not cover a lot of physical terrain. A forest saunter is more about experiencing the forest through all of your senses, slowing down and listening to what Nature has to tell you. A Forest Saunter is part meditation, part naturalist excursion; striking a balance between engaging and educational content and the deep restorative relaxation one hopes to find in the Appalachian Mountains. Each Saunter finishes with a wild tea or wild food snack. – A Hedge & Hollow Forest Saunter is an unforgettable nature experience.
Who Is A Forest Saunter For?
A Hedge & Hollow Forest Saunter is for
- Those looking to unplug and enjoy the wild scenic landscape of the Appalachian Mountains in a gentle environment
- People of all ages and families who want to make meaningful mountain memories
- Those who don’t feel comfortable in high risk outdoor adventures but want a true nature experience that feels safe and gentle
- Those who do feel comfortable in high risk outdoor adventures but are looking for a different way to experience Nature
- People who know nothing about Nature
- People who know a lot about Nature
- Those who crave a connection with Nature
- Those who already have a relationship with Nature
- Experienced hikers
- Inexperienced hikers